Saturday, May 26, 2012

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield...

Dear Readers,

I apologize for the lack of content lately, but as summer inches nearer and nearer I look forward to the sunshine and no work because my time frees up, and I am able to blog again. I have a number of ideas in the hopper; I just haven't been able to find the time to execute any of these ideas. I just wanted to get this blog post out so that you all know I'm still around and still trying to publish content. More thoughts after the jump...





Here's the rundown of what's to come over the next three to four months:


  • Director's Retrospective returns as I tackle the films of Sydney Pollack (the antithesis of my last retrospective subject, Ken Russell)
  • Summer of Slash -- One of my favorite features will make it's return for the third straight year. Look for these to be more on every-few-days kind of thing as I mix in other posts to offset the all-horror-all-the-time feel this blog sometimes has
  • Action 101 -- I recently watched Mission Impossible 4, and it got me thinking about the state of the action film. I plan on taking a look at a handful of films and talking about why they work as action films. 
  • Film syllabi -- I'm a teacher and naturally I spend a lot of time during my day constructing classes or thinking about how I want to teach a certain subject, what objectives I want the students to hit, and what the outcomes for the class will be...this led me to thinking that it might be kind of fun to do on the blog in a kind of "question of the day" type deal. Essentially, if you were teaching a 10 week class on Film Noir, what films would you choose and what outcomes would you want for the class (the reason for choosing those films)? And other questions in that vein. I'm going to try and flesh this idea out a little more. 
  • Random reviews -- I  have a lot of movies from 2011 still to watch, and during the summer when I'm not watching other movies for a series I'm doing on the blog, I may throw some random thoughts on here about more recent movies. I think I'm going to start doing this in much more loose, "film diary" form. 
  • Music -- I know we haven't done a Record Club entry in a long time, but once a month I'm going to try and feature one of my favorite albums on here. 
  • Books -- Same as above...I have a huge summer reading list, but I will keep this to my Twitter account since I don't want to flood the blog with  too much non-movie stuff (by the way...follow me on Twitter @StiglitzMovies)
  • Finally, in October, get ready for the third Italian Horror Blogathon. I'm going to set some rules for myself this year (I'm sticking to a certain time period, for example), and I hope you all will once again join me this October. There will be more on this later. 

There ya have it. I'm still thinking of ways -- almost five years after I started this blog -- to improve the content here. Like the title of this post suggests (thanks, Tennyson!), I won't stop watching or thinking about film, so I feel no need -- despite the large gaps between content being posted -- to ever step away from the blog. It's still here; I'm still here. 

Huzzah summer! It can't get here soon enough. See you all in a couple of weeks. 

Now follow me on Twitter!

4 comments

  1. Exciting stuff! I'm looking forward to the Summer of Slash and the Italian Horror 'Thon. Heck, I'm looking forward to all of it.

    Sydney Pollack as the antithesis of Ken Russell... OR SEPARATED AT BIRTH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacia! I've got some good, cheesy stuff planned for Summer of Slash this year; it should be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Pollack is an interesting choice for a retrospective. The two movies of his I like the most are Absence of Malice and Tootsie, but I remember finding Out of Africa to be sometimes boring, sometimes exhilerating (it's been forever since I've seen it). I've actually heard that his best work was in the 70's, which is why I'm embarrassed to admit I still haven't seen Jeremiah Johnson *or* Three Days of the Condor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I knew after doing Oliver Stone and Ken Russell for my last retrospectives, I wanted to go the complete opposite direction. Pollack is interesting to me because he didn't change much. He's a lot like Clint in that regard: simple aesthetic and classic way of telling his story. When I think about his later stuff, I kind of cringe (Random Hearts, specifically), but I'm curious to see if my feelings on his later work as a director (as an actor and producer few could touch him) change based on revisiting his earlier films. You really need to see Three Days of the Condor...probably my favorite Pollack film. I've actually never seen Out of Africa, so I'm looking forward to that one.

      Delete